This week I’ve been working on my Hyper 9, changed some parts from the weekend at the track and today I am in the mood to write a little review about the car.I’ve been running it for 3-4 months now about every weekend so my experience with the setups is growing, I’m more at ease with the car and finally I can write about the experience I’ve had with the car.
First of all this was what I read about it before I bought it;
- Handles great
- It’s fast on the corners
- Jumps as no other
- Well balanced
- The front harms break constantly
- The differentials leak
- The wing breaks
- The rear break makes it harder to tune the car
- The chassis is too soft
About the positive things I’ve nothing to add or talk about they are true and I love the car, about the negatives well some of those didn’t happen to me at all or when they did it was my fault. First my differentials never leaked, but i use to rebuild them every gallon of nitro spent, the plastics are ok and my wind never broke till now (and it have heavy back landings on the wing). The front harms broke one time but it was my fault, when I was driving on one straight full throttle two of my friends chocked in middle air in front of me so I got distracted hitting the paddock protection while running full speed. Just broke my front right upper and lower arm, but this was when the car was going at close to max. speed. Apart from that Also broke the front diff case, but once again it was my fault, I’ve lost control of the car (battery got loose) and it hit the fence.
Another very positive thing about this car, the shocks, they perform very well, never had to rebuild them for bad functioning just because wanted to change oil density.
Apart from those problems I’ve enjoyed every moment of it.
Now the things I think hobao didn’t do right in this car:
- The chassis is way too flexible, so flexible that when you have bad landing on a jump you damage your center dog bones. (I’ve bought the new 4mm chassis)
- The aluminum dog bones are way to fragile. (buy the upgrade in stell, you’ll add a few grams)
- The position of the rear brake is way too bad, not because of the brake itself but because of the linkage, if you need to change your battery or do something on electronics you need the get the break linkage out.
- The plastic stretchers are very very flexible. (buy the aluminum ones)
- The original tires are crap.
- The package should include an extra set of shock springs.
These days a new version of the hyper 9 was realeased the Hyper 9.5 GL, I did buy the upgrade parts and I’m waiting to assemble it. I hope that in a month or two I can write about the Hyper 9.5 and give it a very positive review.
In the end with the Hyper 9 I’m a happy guy, if it wasn’t for the break linkage I would give it a 9/10 or even a 10/10, but in the end an 8 is a very good mark for the first version of the car, I hope it will get better when the upgrade kit is installed.
I had a hard time getting used to the car as the turning capabilites and amount of traccion on the read are huge and I took a while to get used to it, lost some time setting the car up, putting the right density silicone oils in the differentials and so on.
Usually my setup with this car is 3000-4000-1000 but after getting used… it runs like a charm and flies like super man.
PS – Updated on the Hobao Hyper 9.5 / Hyper 9 GL review here http://www.linux-geex.com/?p=189